Too many DJVU file failures...

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
krampetz

Too many DJVU file failures...

Post by krampetz »

Help me find: The reason I keep getting empty or unreadable DJVU files! .. For years, I'd infrequently get a DJVU file that would cause errors viewing or display an empty page. I decided to attack the problem but loading up several DJVU viewers and I'm starting to conclude that DJVU files from European sites have a different format.
I currently have:
The plugin DJVU viewer in Irfanview (works fine on several test DJVU files),
The plugin you recommend - the " DJVU viewer" (ditto .. works on my test files)
The WinDJview stand alone DJVU viewer (ditto)

ALL Fail to show a handful of DJVU files I attempted based on Source: you show for results on my search..
I.E. mbc.malopolska.pl, and others
I'm frustrated, it doesn't seem possible that so many sites are serving invalid DJVU files..

Bob K.
P.S. I used the name of your recommend viewer ""C-u-m-I-n-a-s DJVU viewer" (remove dashes) & my post Is called 'spam'?!?!
logan
Site Admin

Re: Too many DJVU file failures...

Post by logan »

Hello, Bob,

Please share a few links where you are having problems, and I will try to investigate. Since I do not make the .DjVu files or viewers, there might not be much I can do, though. As for many sites serving invalid files, most of the Polish sites use the same digital library management software, so it's possible that a bug in a new version of that software could affect all of them. I don't know if that is happening, but I will look into it.

Logan

P.S.
I have to use aggressive automated anti-spam measures for this forum due to the surprisingly massive amount of spam attempts. Sometimes, those anti-spam measures incorrectly block posts such as yours.
krampetz

Post by krampetz »

I attacked this problem of mine and discovered that without the I.E. Browser plug-in to handle DJVU files, I.E merely downloads an unusable blank file that my DJVU viewer can't display.. When I did add the browser DJVU plug-in, the files worked as they should. (Cuminis "Document Expres DJVU Plug-in")

I obviously didn't realize that DJVU is not just yet another image encryption method..

Sorry to have troubled you with this,
Bob
logan
Site Admin

Post by logan »

No problem. Yes, you need to use a browser plug-in, not a standalone viewer.

Logan
MYRobinson

Post by MYRobinson »

As of the past weekend I found that the DjVu Plugin Host is no longer functional and there are no updates available, which means it is more difficult (at least for me) to make Djvu files readable/searchable on my iMac. There is DjVuLibre (for both pc and Mac), but that doesn’t always open DjVu files. Last night I tried converting DjVu files to PDF files, & that seemed to function well. I downloaded the DjVu file and then used a free online conversion service that I found at: “DjVu to PDF converter”.