Arkin (Orkin) from Lekava or Veger (Vegeryay)

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
junerogul

Arkin (Orkin) from Lekava or Veger (Vegeryay)

Post by junerogul »

My great grandparents, Chaim & Rebecca Arkin, immigrated to the US at separate times and respectively gave the name of their town as Latskeva (now Leckava) and Veger or Wegger (now Vegeriai).The towns were part of Russia before 1900 and now are in Lithuania. I would greatly welcome any help in finding evidence of the existence of the Arkin (may have been spelled Orkin) family in either of those towns.
June Rogul
Last edited by junerogul on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
logan
Site Admin

Re: Arkin (Orkin) from Lekava or Veger (Vegeryay)

Post by logan »

If you change the Any Place option below the search box to Lithuania and search for Arkin, you will find an Isaak-Albert Yudelevitch Arkin in Kovno Gubernia, but with no stated connection to either town you mentioned. If you change Any Place to Multinational, you will find hits in directories covering the entire Russian Empire, but you will need to examine each to know whether there is a connection to your towns or nearby places. You can search for pages containing both the town name and the surname, but I don't see any matches. You can also browse entries for the towns, by searching for ляцково or the Russian name for Vegeriai (Вегер?).

Logan
junerogul

Re: Arkin (Orkin) from Lekava or Veger (Vegeryay)

Post by junerogul »

Thanks!