1908, 1909 Warsaw Business and Address Directories

Notes about individual sources. If you have something to add, please check whether a topic already exists for the source, and, if so, post to that topic.
logan
Site Admin

1908, 1909 Warsaw Business and Address Directories

Post by logan »

The image number returned by the search engine is sometimes off by one, so, if you cannot find a match on the suggested image, please check the previous or subsequent image. Also, please notify me at logan@genealogyindexer.org if you discover such an error, and include the incorrectly-returned image number. Thank you.

-Logan
sgrundbron

Re: 1909 Warsaw Business and Address Directory

Post by sgrundbron »

Hi Logan,
The page for Grundfest in the 1909 Warsaw Address and Business directory is off by one. It should be the image before. (Of course, now I don't have it open and don't know the number.). I will write it down and send it in the next post. The list of occupations is very helpful, but a list of abbreviations would be great, too. (Can usually figure them out, but not always. What would be terrific is to have the headings under which various people are listed in the Russian medical directories. Sometimes it's several pages before. Sorry, I know this would be a lot of work.

Sharon G. Broniatowski
Cleveland, OH
sgrundbron

Post by sgrundbron »

Grundfest on image 556 not 557.
Thanks,
Sharon Grundfest Broniatowski MD
logan
Site Admin

Post by logan »

Thanks for notifying me, Sharon. I will try to fix this error, which does not affect the entire directory (I try to check for such errors, but it's hard to catch them all).

As for a list of occupation abbreviations, I'd be happy to post it if someone else would create it.

Transcribing headings would require a lot of manual labor. If someone wants to do it, I can explain what format I would need to integrate the headings into search results, but I do not plan to do the transcription myself.

Logan
Chandi3

Re: 1908, 1909 Warsaw Business and Address Directories

Post by Chandi3 »

HI;
RE: 1908 Warsaw Address and Business Directory, image 588 {d214} notes
Source: University of Warsaw Digital Library

My family name is NORFLUS-NURFLUS, and the page it is supposed to be listed on is 588.
However, it is listed on page 587.
588 are the "O's"

Can it be corrected?

Thank you.
AJ37_Viggen

Post by AJ37_Viggen »

Does anyone know whether there's a similar resource for other cities? I'm mainly looking at Krakow.
logan
Site Admin

Post by logan »

Numerous directories for Krakow are searchable on this site. When you use the search box at https://genealogyindexer.org with default settings, all sources are searched, including Krakow-specific directories (https://genealogyindexer.org/directories#Krakow), directories covering all of Galicia (including Krakow), directories covering all of Poland (including Krakow), etc.

Logan
nberline

Post by nberline »

In the introduction to the 1908 Warsaw directory, the author writes that the project is new for Warsaw but there exists one for Krakow.
Below is the beginning of this introduction translated by Google.

"When I proceeded to collect and compose the book "Addresses of Warsaw", a work much more tedious and more inaccurate than it might seem, I was primarily guided by the idea to give our society not only a truly comprehensive and in all respects corresponding to my Address Book, but at the same time
in order to make it easier for everyone to glance at the condition of our industry in the various branches of its production.
The rest of the world, which so far has always led us in the direction of practical life, has long understood the usefulness of this type of publishing house, and having understood it, put it into practice. It is also today every major city, almost every commercial or industrial environment has such annals, issued with extraordinary care, changed and improved from year to year, according to the growing needs of the present moment. Not to mention the great centers of industry and trade, Lviv with 130,000 inhabitants, and even Kraków with 8,000 inhabitants, got their own address yearbooks.
St. Petersburg and Moscow also produce neat and detailed address books that sell out in tens of thousands of copies, rendering invaluable service
to all those who have any business with these cities. Only Warsaw was left behind."