Planned improvements for 2018

logan
Site Admin

Planned improvements for 2018

Post by logan »

Planned improvements for Genealogy Indexer (hopefully) during 2018, separate from continued addition of searchable content:
  • OCR-Adjusted search method for finding matches despite OCR errors improved for Fraktur/Gothic/Blackletter fonts and extended to Cyrillic and Hebrew
  • Automatic suggestion of matches with OCR errors (i.e., manual OCR-Adjusted search not required)
  • Filter/refine search results
  • Search/sort by (approximate) geographic distance from a location, especially for the many town-specific German directories
  • Sample search strategies and/or guided searches
  • Automatically notify mailing list subscribers when there are new matches to their saved searches
  • Multilingual interface, especially Polish, German, Russian, and Hebrew
  • Easier printing/saving of matching source images
  • Users can report problems with source images
  • Visual changes to better suit high-resolution displays and mobile phones
Most of these improvements have been long-planned but were never implemented due to the higher precedence of adding content. As the amount of content has increased -- dramatically so in the past year -- so too has the risk that users will be overwhelmed by a large number of search results and I think these improvements will be very useful in mitigating that.

Logan
logan
Site Admin

Re: Planned improvements for 2018

Post by logan »

Three items from the planned improvements list have now been (partially) implemented:
  • Filter/refine search results
  • Sample search strategies (genealogyindexer.org/guide) and/or guided searches
  • Visual changes to better suit high-resolution displays and mobile phones
These will be further developed and the other planned improvements are still planned.

In addition, changes were made to parts of the site not visible to users, including fixing a bug preventing some search results from being displayed in rare cases.

If you notice any strange behavior, please tell me at logan@genealogyindexer.org

Logan