Looking for information on Wasyl Tychanycz/Tychanicz in Galicia region of Poland/Ukraine

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
jtehonica

Looking for information on Wasyl Tychanycz/Tychanicz in Galicia region of Poland/Ukraine

Post by jtehonica »

Hi,

I'm looking for information on my father's ancestors in the Galicia region of Poland/Ukraine. Over the course of the past two years I've undertaken much research however I'm currently at a dead end. The information that I do have is that my great-grandfather's name was Wasyl Tychanycz (or spelled Tychanicz), his family last resided in the small village of Petna in the former Galicia region of what is now Poland. According to Ellis Island immigration records, Wasyl came to the US on March 17, 1904 at the age of 21 on the ship the "Main" from the port of Bremen, Germany. Wasyl indicated he was single at the time. Wasyl's brother Mikolaj Tychanycz previously immigrated to the US and the two brothers lived and worked together with some cousins in Auburn, NY.

Wasyl met a Ukrainian woman named Oryna Yeryvna (my great-grandmother) and they married in Auburn in 1905. My grandfather Ivan Tychanycz was born in Auburn on July 20, 1908 and was baptized on July 28, 1908 according to records at the Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church in Auburn. I have been unable to unearth any information regarding my great-grandmonther Oryna Yeryvna whatsoever. A woman from Auburn named Maria Bazarnyk stood up for the young couple at the baptism according to church records.

I would very much like to locate any information or connections regarding Wasyl and Mikolaj's parents and family in Petna and, additionally, any information regarding my great-grandmother Oryna Yeryvna.

Below are additional possible spellings of Wasyl's surname:
  • Tychanycz
    Tychanicz
    Tichanich
    Tychanych
    Tychanvch
    Tichanecz
    Tychanysz
    Tyhanicza
    Tichanage
    Tichanich
    Tichanick
    Tyhanic
    Tichange
    Tichanage
If anyone can provide any information or assistance in uncovering this information it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jamie
nkl3

Re: Looking for information on Wasyl Tychanycz/Tychanicz in Galicia region of Poland/Ukraine

Post by nkl3 »

Hi Jaimie,

Doing some research on my own family on my father's side. My grandfather was born in Penta/Petna/Pantna. We call ourselves Ukranian, but land changed hands many times. Here's an article I found on who I think is my great great grandfather.

https://www.geni.com/people/John-Lepak/ ... 1360098159

Here's also a link for Wasyl.

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/ ... 5nZXIiOw==

Nick
nkl3

Re: Looking for information on Wasyl Tychanycz/Tychanicz in Galicia region of Poland/Ukraine

Post by nkl3 »

And if you read the link, my g g grandfather went to Auburn to meet an acquaintance (Wasyl Bazarnyk). Same last name as the Maria who stood up at the Baptism at St. Peter and Paul. Is your family still in the Auburn area? Mine are.