Granet Family from Odessa

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
suewelsh

Granet Family from Odessa

Post by suewelsh »

I am looking for my Odessa and Makhnovka ancestors. My great grandfather's surname was Granet or Hranet in Cyrillic. He was originally from Makhnovka, but moved to Odessa, where his children were born. My great-grandfather's name was Yakov Hranet (b. circa 1840) and his wife was Chaya (b. unknown; d. during Revolution, circa 1917).

The children included my grandfather, Moishe (1872 - 1943), brothers Boris (b. 1877) and Solomon (b. 1879), sisters Liza (Boris's twin, b.1877)and Minka (b. 1873), and some six other children, whose names are unknown, including an older sister who married a man named Kaufman and lived on the Calle de los Ninos in Mexico City. The family was related to the Granets from Uman, who were cousins.

My grandfather and and older brother were conscripted into the Czar's army and sent to Vladikavkaz. They deserted and walked across the Middle East until they got to Alexandria. There, my grandfather boarded a ship for France while his older brother remained in Egypt.

This is all I know about my grandfather's family.
logan
Site Admin

Re: Granet Family from Odessa

Post by logan »

Searching doesn't reveal any Granets in the Odessa or all-Russian Empire directories currently on the site. The closest name I can find in Odessa in these directories is Гернет, which could be a different family.

Logan